How to Apply
The application process for all UNCG Graduate Programs is now online through the ApplyYourself Application Network on the UNCG Graduate School website (click on Prospective Students, then click Apply Online). Please remember that creative writing workshops and courses are restricted to those admitted to the MFA program.
Deadline for Entry Spring Semester 2020: 1 October 2019
Deadline for Consideration for Assistantships and Entry Fall Semester 2020: 1 May 2020
Deadline for Entry Fall Semester 2020: 1 July 2020
Deadline for Entry Spring Semester 2021: 1 October 2020
All materials need to be submitted to the UNCG Graduate School online (i.e. official transcripts and GRE scores) by the deadline.
After you have created an application account, you will be able to go in and add and save information until the application is complete and you are ready to submit When you have completed your application and are ready to submit it, you can pay your application fee online via credit card. No application will be processed until the application fee is paid.
Besides the application information and fee, the following materials should be added to your online application:
- Official transcripts of all previous work showing a major or graduate work in English, with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 in the undergraduate major. You should request that the Registrar’s office either submit the transcripts electronically or mail them directly to the UNCG Graduate School.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic achievements. In your application you will be entering the names and email addresses of your recommenders, and the ApplyYourself system will contact them through email. Recommenders will upload their references directly into the ApplyYourself system.
- Scores on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination. You should request that ETS either submit the official scores electronically or mail them directly to the UNCG Graduate School. The Educational Testing Service will not report GRE scores more than five years old.
- At the upload button labeled “Supplemental Materials A” (or “Application Essay”) attach the Word document that contains your writing sample (a research essay from a previous class; must be a nonfiction piece, 10-20 pages).
- At the upload button labeled “Supplemental Materials B” (or “Resume”) attach one Word document that contains in this order a) statement of purpose (1-2 pages) with your name at the top, and b) your current CV or resume.