Spring 2021 In-Person Commencement Update
Posted on March 31, 2021
The English Department, under guidance from the Chancellor and lack of adequate space, will not be hosting our departmental recognition ceremony. However, the College of Arts and Sciences will hold a combined ceremony at the Greensboro Coliseum where all 2021 undergraduate and master’s students will have their names announced as they walk across the stage. Further details can be found below. We are excited to celebrate our English graduates and their hard work! #UNCGEnglish
With great enthusiasm, UNCG announces that the Class of 2021 and Class of 2020 will have an in-person commencement on May 7 and May 8.
“The classes of 2020 and 2021 have persevered in the face of enormous challenges. Each of our graduates has shown tremendous resilience and the kind of compassion and sense of community that speaks well of our collective character. We look forward to celebrating their accomplishments in-person this May,” said Chancellor Gilliam.
Our graduates and their families and friends have expressed their desire to come together, safely and socially distanced, to celebrate this monumental moment. We heard you. And we are pleased that, with the assistance of the Greensboro Coliseum, we can offer in-person commencement ceremonies that follow COVID-19 safety protocols.
Ceremony details include:
- Multiple University ceremonies will be held at the Greensboro Coliseum over May 7 and May 8 with graduates walking with their college or school. Names will be announced as they walk across the stage.
- Each ceremony will be live streamed for families and friends to celebrate no matter where they are.
Commencement dates and times are below:
Class of 2021 undergraduate and master’s students
- Friday, May 7, at 5 p.m.:
- College of Arts and Sciences
Class of 2020:
- Saturday, May 8, at 9 a.m.:
- All colleges and schools (undergraduate and master’s graduates from May, August, and December 2020)
Classes of 2020 and 2021 doctoral graduates and candidates:
- Saturday, May 8, at 1 p.m.:
- Doctoral Hooding Ceremony, all colleges and schools
The following protocols will be in place:
- Each graduate may bring two guests; all will be ticketed. No additional guests will be permitted.
- A screening process will be in place for attendees based on University, State, and County protocols. Attendees will receive information at least one week before the event.
- Face coverings are required.
- Following each ceremony, graduates and guests are asked not to congregate in the Coliseum and are encouraged to meet at their vehicles in order to limit gatherings.
The classes of 2020 and 2021 will receive email communications in the weeks to come to register for their respective commencement ceremonies. Should ceremonies need to be adjusted based on public health directives, we will be prepared to be nimble and flexible and adjust our plans.
More information can be found here: https://commencement.uncg.edu/