Office: MHRA 3105
- Ph.D. Pennsylvania State University-1982
- M.A. Pennsylvania State University-1976
- B.A. Sam Houston State University-1972
- Dr. Yarbrough works in rhetorical theory and history, critical theory, and American literature and culture.
- “How Trump’s Followers Construct Alt-Truth from Lies, Part 2: Daemonic Invention.” Feedback (01 Dec. 2018). http://openhumanitiespress.org/feedback/theory/how-trumps-followers-construct-alt-truth-from-lies-part-2-daemonic-invention/
- “Is (In)fusionism a Perspectivism or an Interactionsim?” Romancing Theory, Riding Interpretation: (In)fusion Approach, Salman Rushdie. Ed. Ranjan Ghosh. New York, Bern, Berlin, Oxford: Peter Lang, 2012.
- “Richard Rorty, Feminism, and the Annoyances of Pragmatism.” Re-reading the Canon: Feminist Interpretations of Richard Rorty. Ed. Marianne Janack. University Park: Penn State U P, 2010.
- “Not Yet Disagreeing to Agree: Radical Invention and Exilic Writing.” JAC: Journal of Advanced Composition 28.1-2 (2010): 635-652.
- “The Temporality and Function of “Ethical Shifting” in Discursive Interaction.” The Responsibilities of Rhetoric (Proceeds of the 2008 RSA Convention). Ed. Barbara Warnick and Michelle Smith. Long Grove: Waveland P, 2009, pp. 144-150.
- “As You Like It: Michel Meyer’s Metaphor.” Revue international de philosophie. 61 (2007): 377-90.
- Inventive Intercourse: From Rhetorical Conflict to the Ethical Creation of Novel Truth. Carbondale: Southern Illinois U P, 2006.
- “On the Very Idea of Composition: Modes of Persuasion or Phases of Discourse?” JAC 25 (2005): 491-512.
- “Passing Theories through Topical Heuristics: Donald Davidson, Aristotle, and the Conditions of Discursive Competence.” Philosophy and Rhetoric 37 (2004): 72-91.
- After Rhetoric: Studies in Discourse Beyond Language and Culture. Cabondale: Southern Illinois U P, 1999.
- Co-author with John C. Adams. Delightful Conviction: Jonathan Edwards and the Rhetoric of Conversion. Santa Barbara: Greenwood P, 1993.
- Deliberate Criticism: Toward a Postmodern Humanism. Athens: U of Georgia P, 1992.
Awards and Honors
- UNCG Gladys Strawn Bullard Award for Outstanding Leadership and Service. Nominee, 2018, 2019.
- Class of 1952 Distinguished Professor of English, 2015-2017.
- UNCG University Teaching Excellence Award. Finalist, 2010; 2016.
- US Department of Education, Title III, Strengthening Institutions Program, CFDA 84.031A, grant: “Intentional Futures—Learning to Learn.”
- Award: $1,876,735.00. Co-investigator. 2012.
43 Questions Interview