Office: MHRA 3328
Ph.D. Texas Christian University-1997
M.A. Central Missouri State University-1978
B.A. Central Missouri State University-1977
Dr. Myers specializes in rhetoric and composition studies with an emphasis on the history of the discipline and feminist rhetorical studies.
- Rethinking Ethos: A Feminist Ecological Approach to Rhetoric. Co-edited with Kathleen J. Ryan and Rebecca Jones. Southern Illinois UP, 2016.
- “Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s Rhetorical Missteps: Metonymy and Synecdoche in the Woman Suffrage Arguments.” Nineteenth-Century American Activist Rhetorics, edited by Patricia Bizzell and Lisa Zimmerelli, MLA, 2021 pp. 51-63.
- “Louisa May Alcott’s Work: A New True Working Woman.” Women at Work: Rhetorics of Gender and Labor, edited by David Gold and Jessica Enoch, U of Pittsburgh P, 2019, pp. 42-55.
- “Turning Trends: Lockwood’s and Emerson’s Rhetoric Textbooks at the American Fin D’ Siècle.” Remembering Women Differently: Refiguring Rhetorical Work, edited by Lynee Lewis Gaillet and Helen Gaillet Bailey, U of South Carolina P, 2019, pp. 242-56.
Awards and Honors
- The Coalition of Feminist Scholars in the History of Rhetoric and Composition named their research award the “Nancy A. Myers Feminist Research Grant,” March 2019
- Class of 1952 Distinguished Professor of English, UNCG, 2017-2019
- Cross-Appointed Faculty for UNCG Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program, 2011-ongoing
- President of the Coalition of Feminist Scholars in the History or Rhetoric and Composition, 2010-2012
- Nominated for UNCG College of Arts and Sciences Teaching Excellence Award, 2007-2008, 2015-2016, 2017-2018, 2019-2020, and 2020-2021
- UNCG Alumni Teaching Excellence Award, 2002